10.10.2008

Ready for ReadyBoost?

I like power, I like speed. That's why I make my car go fast with fun modifications. So, when I started hearing about "readyboost" I thought this was another product or technique to make a turbo charged or super charged engine work more efficiently. Well, no. Microsoft quietly (to me anyway) released a feature for thier Windows Vista operating system that enables more efficient use of resources when you plug in a compatible flash memory device. (Like a USB thumb drive - you know, you've seen them I'm sure.) 


I carry around a 4GB thumb drive for backing up my files at work, and when I insert the drive in a  USB port a window pops up and one of the options is "speed up my computer with ReadyBoost." I have been ignoring that for a few weeks now since I thought it was some type of program the thumb drive manufacturer placed on the drive that you had to install. Well, I don't ignore it anymore! I clicked on it and it asks how much space you want to allocate on the thumb drive to this extra memory capacity. Nice.

I learned of all this through David Pogue's NY Times Circuits email . . . there was a link to an article How I Learned To Tolerate Vista by Stephen Williams. So now I'm cruising with extra speed and power with ReadyBoost. Funny how the message finally made it's way to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment