10.08.2008

Peggy Noonan's Patriotic Grace

So I'm reading this book (yay, me - I'm reading a book!) at the perfect time. Patriotic Grace is WSJ columnist Peggy Noonan's observation on the current state of our country and it has me intrigued for several reasons.

One is the speed at which the book was brought in to the market. She wrote it as a quick sell, since after the election it won't hold as much relevance as it does now. Next, Ms. Noonan writes of some unknown challenge that the country will have to face, seemingly foreshadowing this "economic crisis" we are in right now. (Though what she may be referring to is something much worse, like another attack on our soil.) The debacle of our economy is the outcome of many points she makes throughout the book, that something tragic will result because we have not been taking care of what's been going on right under our noses.

She puts on paper some realities we have faced but don't want to admit. Like the fact that we've just "lost it" and need to get back to basics and treat each other with respect, with grace.

The book also helps me to realize that some pressures of the world we live in can affect your own self-respect. We aren't respecting one another, others don't respect this nation, so no wonder we may have lost some of what we once had. One wonders why they feel down every now and then - just wake up and look around. Yuk.

Thankfully, the book ends with a prescription on how we can regain what we once had. I should read more often.

1 comment:

  1. I love Peggy Noonan--I read her column in the WSJ whenever I can. I'll have to find her book; it sounds like you got a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete